>Baker City Herald | Baker County Oregon's News Leader

Baker news NE Oregon Classifieds Web
web powered by Web Search Powered by Google

Follow BakerCityHerald.com

Baker City Herald print edition

view all Baker City Herald print publications »

The Baker City Herald is now online in a Replica E-edition form and publishes Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Current subscribers have full access to the E-edition.

View Paper

If you are not a current subscriber, subscribe today for immediate access.

Subscribe


Recent article comments

Powered by Disqus

Home arrow News arrow Local News arrow Apartment fire displaces three families

Print

Apartment fire displaces three families

No people hurt, but one dog died in Tuesday afternoon blaze 


By Chris Collins

This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it

An electrical short in a power cord is blamed for a fire that displaced three households at the Blue Ridge Apartments Tuesday afternoon.

Firefighters were dispatched to the seven-unit apartment complex on Highway 30 on the north outskirts of Baker City at 1:34 p.m. Most of the damage was confined to Apartment E, where the fire started, said Don Taggart of the Baker City Fire Department.

Jenny Wilson, who lives in the apartment with her 6-year-old daughter, Traeh Thronson, and her 4-year-old daughter, Maya Wilson, was not home when the fire started.

The family lost their male pug,Teddy, in the fire. A second dog, Lilo, a female pug mix, was taken to the Baker Veterinary Hospital for treatment and was doing well this morning, Wilson said.

Taggart said firefighters entered the building after being told by several residents that Wilson and her daughters might still be inside. Instead they found only the two dogs.

Wilson said she and her 6-year-old were at a doctor’s appointment when the fire started shortly after noon.

“That was a blessing,” she said. “If we hadn’t woke up for the doctor’s appointment, who knows what would have happened.”

The sheriff’s department evacuated all of the apartments during the firefighting effort.

The Red Cross responded to the fire and provided motel rooms for Wilson and her children and for Mary Jo Bennett and Heather Cromwell and her daughter, who live in apartments adjoining Wilson’s home. Other residents of the complex  were able to return to their homes later Tuesday.

Wilson, who has worked as a hair stylist at the Styles R Us salon for the past three months, said she and her daughters lost most of their belongings in the fire.

In addition to short-term housing, the Red Cross also is providing money for food and clothing.

“I’m  still in shock,” Wilson said of her future plans. “I have family and friends willing to help. Right now I’m taking  it day by day.”

Eleven Baker City firefighters provided mutual aid to the Baker Rural Fire Protection District, Taggart said. The city crew spent about an hour on the scene and knocked the fire down quickly.

Nine Baker Rural volunteers remained at the scene until about 8 p.m., said Fire Chief Howard Payton.

The state fire marshal investigated the fire and determined that it was started by a short in an electrical cord caused by a pinch in the cord when it was placed under the leg of a dresser, Payton said.

Print

blog comments powered by Disqus
News
Local / Sports / Business / State / National / Obituaries / Submit News
Opinion
Editorials / Letters / Columns / Submit a letter
Features
Outdoors / Go Magazine / Milestones / Living Well
Baker Herald
About / Contact / Commercial Printing / Subscriptions / Terms of Use / Privacy Policy / Commenting Policy / Site Map
Also Online
Photo Reprints / Videos / Local Business Links / Community Links / Weather and Road Cams / RSS Feed

Follow Baker City Herald headlines on Follow Baker City Herald headlines on Twitter

© Copyright 2001 - 2014 Western Communications, Inc. All rights reserved. By Using this site you agree to our Terms of Use