Home News Local News Baker brewers tops in hops
Baker brewers tops in hops
By Jayson Jacoby
Baker City’s original craft brewers crossed the Rocky Mountains and brought home a bunch of awards that’s pretty monumental in its own right.
Barley Brown’s Brew Pub and Baker City Brewing Co. won five medals, including three golds, at the Great American Beer Festival this weekend in Denver.
The medal tally wasn’t exactly a shock.
Barley Brown’s brewers have won more than a dozen over the past several years.
But this year they added a new accolade.
Baker City Brewing Co. was honored as the nation’s top Very Small Brewer, and Eli Dickison and Marks Lanham were named top brewers in that category.
“This is a huge honor for us,” Baker City Brewing Co. posted on its Facebook page Saturday.
Owner Tyler Brown couldn’t be reached for comment this morning; he got in late Sunday from Denver.
Brown opened Barley Brown’s Brew Pub, at the corner of Main and Church streets, in 1998.
Earlier this year he opened a taproom adjacent to a new, larger brewery just across Church Street from the brewpub.
BAKER CITY BREWING CO. MEDALS
• Shredders Wheat, American-style wheat category (31 total entries)
• Pallet Jack IPA, American-style India pale ale category (252 entries)
• Hand Truck, International-style pale ale category (30 entries)
• Don Vanuchi “The Killer,” foreign-style stout category (31 entries)
• Fresh Hop Pallet Jack, fresh hop ale category (46 entries)