Home News Local News Detour open around Wallowa Loop Road construction
Detour open around Wallowa Loop Road construction
The detour route around construction on the Wallowa Mountain Loop Road east of Halfway is snow-free and open to vehicles.
The 30-mile route, which starts in Halfway and passes Fish Lake, is mainly a one-lane gravel road with turnouts.
The detour is accessible to trailers, but large motor homes are not recommended.
The 13-mile section of the Loop Road starting at Highway 86 is closed through June 15.
On June 16 the next phase of construction starts:
• June 16: Open until 7:59 a.m. on June 17
• June 17: Closed until 5 p.m. on June 19
• June 19: Open at 5:01 p.m. and open until 7:59 a.m. on June 24
• June 24: Closed at 8 a.m. and closed until 5 p.m. on June 26
• June 26: Open at 5:01 p.m. and open until 7:59 a.m. on July 1
Starting July 1 and continuing through Oct. 15, the Loop Road will be open, but visitors should expect delays of up to one hour.
For current information about road conditions or other information, please call 541-523-1302. For additional information on the Hells Canyon Scenic Byway, please visit www.hellscanyonbyway.com.