>Baker City Herald | Baker County Oregon's News Leader

Baker news NE Oregon Classifieds Web
web powered by Web Search Powered by Google

Follow BakerCityHerald.com

Baker City Herald print edition

view all Baker City Herald print publications »

The Baker City Herald is now online in a Replica E-edition form and publishes Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Current subscribers have full access to the E-edition.

View Paper

If you are not a current subscriber, subscribe today for immediate access.


Recent article comments

Powered by Disqus

Home arrow News arrow News of Record arrow Obituaries from Dec. 26-30


Obituaries from Dec. 26-30

Loyd Gregory

Harold Loyd Gregory, 85, of Halfway, died Dec. 20, 2005, at Settler's Park in Baker City.

Loyd was born on Dec. 19, 1920 in Troy, Texas. He was the youngest — and last surviving — of the 10 children of Thomas and Minnie Gregory. He grew up in Temple, Texas, during the Great Depression and helped his family by working odd jobs, such as delivering telegrams and scraping the mortar off used bricks. His job as a soda jerk, where he could eat all the ice cream he wanted, is where he probably acquired his lifelong love for ice cream.

At the age of 18 he volunteered for the Army and first served with the First Cavalry Division in El Paso, Texas, where he enjoyed horse soldier training. There at a USO dance he met Carlyne Gae Jeter. They were married on Nov. 1, 1941, just about a month before the attack on Pearl Harbor.

During World War II, Loyd was a First Aid Medic in the Pacific Front, mostly in the Philippines. He had a great admiration for General MacArthur. He remained in the armed services for 20 years, working in hospital administration and as a drill sergeant. During this time, he and his wife and two sons lived in a variety of places, including Japan and France during the 1950s.

While in France he joined the Masonic Lodge and remained a lifelong member. He was very proud to have served his country during his military career. He was a meticulous dresser in uniform; his medals and shoes sparkled in the sun.

After Loyd's military retirement in 1961, he and his family settled in Dallas, Texas. He worked as a car salesman, insurance clerk, hotel clerk and painting contractor during the 1960s and 1970s.

In 1980, Loyd and his wife Gae moved to Halfway, where their son Forest lived. They lived in Halfway for several years before returning to Texas where they helped care for Gae's mother for a couple of years, and then moved to La Grande. Several years later they moved back to Halfway.

Many locals will remember Gae and Loyd as the couple who walked everywhere in Halfway rather than driving their car. Loyd was a member of the Pine Valley Masonic Lodge and the VFW.

Loyd had a great sense of humor and would share it with everyone he met. He never met a stranger or turned down a bowl of ice cream!

His hobby was keeping a scrapbook of interesting and comical phrases, pictures and drawings he collected from magazines, box labels, etc. During his younger days he was quite the ballroom dancer. During his later years, he suffered with health problems, most prominently Alzheimer's. He lived at his home in Halfway and was cared for by his wife, Gae, until shortly before his passing.

Loyd was preceded in death by his son, Terry, and his mother, father, three sisters and six brothers.

He is survived by his wife, Gae; his son, Forest, and daughter-in-law, Ruai; his daughter-in-law, Marie, of Allen, Texas; four grandchildren; one step-grandchild and five great-grandchildren.

Those who wish to make contributions in Loyd's memory may make them to the Shriners Children's Hospital at the Office of Development, International Shrine Headquarters, 2900 Rocky Point Dr., Tampa, FL 33607-1460.

Some of Loyd's mementos are on display in the window of Tami's Pine Valley Funeral Home in Halfway for the remainder of this week.

‘Wallie' Huey

Wallace G. "Wallie" Huey, 82, a longtime resident of Baker City, died Dec. 19, 2005, at his home with his family by his side.

A memorial service has not been scheduled at this time.

Wallie was born in Topeka, Kan., to Dwight L. Huey and Mary Alta Davis on Nov. 30, 1923.

At the age of 5, he and his mother, father, two sisters and one brother moved to Wendell, Idaho, where he finished his education.

After completion of high school, he joined the U.S. Army Air Force, and he served in England as a supply truck driver.

Upon receiving his discharge papers in November 1945, he returned to Gooding, Idaho, to work as a teller in the Gooding bank while also working in the control tower of the local airport.

In 1951 he moved to Baker City to work for the next 12 years as a postal clerk on the railroad, which ran from Baker City to Pocatello, Idaho. During this time he met his wife of almost 52 years, Patricia Newman, in August 1953. A short time later, on Valentine's Day in 1954, he married Patricia in a ceremony held in Corvallis. Within eight years they had one daughter, Jolynne.

Wallie was known around town as the "Candy Man." In 1965 he began his own business known as J&W Sales to supply local grocery stores with candy, cigarettes and a variety of sundry items. During this Wallie was known for his happy-go-lucky attitude, singing and whistling his way through each day.

In later years Wallie was known for his love of airplanes and flying. Wallie received his pilots license and earned his hours flying a Piper Cub. If a plane passed overheard, he would knock anyone in his way to the side so he could see what it was in the sky. He spent many days at the side of the airport watching planes come and go.

Before Wallie passed away, he instilled the love of flying into his granddaughter when he took her for her first flight out of the Baker City Municipal Airport on a cold, foggy day in January when she was 5. Wallie has a very large collection of model airplanes that will find a new home with his granddaughter, who loves them as much as he did.

Survivors include his wife, Patricia; his daughter, Jolynne Welter, and her husband, Todd; one granddaughter, Kyla; a brother, Don Huey of Boise; and several nieces and nephews.

Wallie was preceded in death by his mother, father, two older sisters, a nephew, brother-in-law and sister-in-law.

Memorial contributions can be made to Pathway Hospice or to the charity of one's choice in care of Gray's West & Company, P.O. Box 726, Baker City, OR 97814.

Huela McKenzie

Huela V. McKenzie, 79, of Baker City, died Dec. 27, 2005, at St. Elizabeth Health Services.

No service is planned at this time.

Survivors include three daughters, Barbara Heiple and her husband, Ed, of John Day, Kathy McClure of Pendleton and Linda Witherrite of Hillsboro; and two sons, Ronald McKenzie of Dayton, Wash., and Randall McKenzie of Pendleton.

Memorial contributions may be made to St. Stephen's Episcopal Church through Driskill Memorial Chapel, 241 S. Canyon Blvd., John Day, OR 97845.

Robert Mason

Retired U.S. Air Force Lt. Col. Robert Gunnason Mason, 86, a former resident of Fillmore Pond, Bennington, Vt., died Dec. 16, 2005, at the Vermont Veterans Home in Bennington after a long illness.

His funeral was Dec. 18 at the All Faiths Chapel of the Vermont Veterans Home at Bennington. The Mass of Resurrection was offered by the Rev. Michael A. Demasi, chaplain. Burial will be later at Arlington National Cemetery, Arlington, Va.

Born in Pittsfield, Mass., on May 15, 1919, he was the son of the late Robert D. and Elinor Gunnason Mason. He received his early education in the Blackington and North Adams, Mass., schools and was a 1938 graduate of Drury High School.

He later attended Weber State College at Ogden, Utah. A career officer, Lt. Col. Mason served from Dec. 26, 1939, until Oct. 1, 1969, during World War II, the Korean Conflict and the Vietnam War. He was a combat pilot who also served as a squadron commander and was the recipient of both a Silver Star and the Distinguished Flying Cross.

Mr. Mason married the former Grace Cecelia Kazmierowski in New Guinea on Dec. 18, 1944, with a Dutch priest officiating. On Dec. 23, 1944, they were married by an American Chaplain in Halandia, New Guinea.

After his retirement from the Air Force, he was employed as a golf pro at La Costa Country Club in Carlsbad, Calif., and later as an automobile salesman at Santa Anna, Calif.

Survivors include his wife, Grace Mason of Bennington; two sons, Robert Gary Mason, and his wife, Hope, of Baker City, and Michael Mason and his wife, Suwana, of Springfield; two grandchildren, Robert Grey Mason of Atchison, Kan., and Reid Aaron Mason of Eudora, Kan.; five great-grandchildren, Kyle, Sean, Molly, Sadie and Jeycob; two sisters and a brother-in-law, Ruth and Jack Barnhill of Bennington, and Bernice Brazeau of Williamstown, Mass.; and several nieces, nephews and cousins.

Memorial contributions may be made to the Activities Fund at the Vermont Veterans Home through the office of the Mahar & Son Funeral Home, 628 Main St., Bennington, VT 05201.

Erna M. Timm

Erna Marie Timm, 100, a former Baker City resident, died Dec. 25, 2005, at Milwaukee, Wis.

Her memorial service will be Friday at Harder Funeral Home in Milwaukee, Wis. Internment will be Saturday at Cedarburg, Wis.

Mrs. Timm made her home with her son and daughter-in-law, Glenn and Peggi Timm of Baker City, for more than 15 years. She attended the Assembly of God Church and was a frequent visitor at the Senior Center in the 1970s and 1980s.

She grew to love Baker City for the many trees and her ability to walk anywhere in town.

Survivors include her sons and daughters-in-law, Glenn and Peggi Timm and Richard and Carol Timm of Baker City and Thomas and Christine Timm and Earl Timm, and special daughter-in-law, Judith Timm of Milwaukee, Wis.; 15 grandchildren and 20 great-grandchildren; and other relatives and friends.

She was preceded in death by her husband, Harry; and her daughter, Carol.

Erna Neuberger

Erna Silbermann Neuberger, 88, of Baker City, died Dec. 28, 2005, at her home.

Her graveside service will be at 11 a.m. Monday at Beth Israel Cemetery in Portland.

Erna was born on Sept. 15, 1917, at Vienna, Austria. She was a daughter of Chaim Hersch Silbermann and Gisela Wolf Silbermann. She attended school at Vienna and then became a dressmaker, working for a high-fashion shop that catered to affluent people like Marlene Dietrich, who had her suits made there.

With Germany's annexation of Austria in March 1938, Austria became an increasingly dangerous place in which to live for the Jewish people. A cousin of Erna's obtained a permit for her to live in England with her and Erna left Austria in the fall of 1938.

Erna's father, a clothing store owner in Vienna, refused to leave his native Austria. Even though Erna tried to keep in touch with her father through a cousin in Switzerland, she eventually lost touch with him and presumed that he died a victim of the Holocaust. The last time Erna saw her father was when he was standing on the platform in Vienna when she boarded the train for England.

In 1943, Erna met Gert Neuberger in England when her sister-in-law (Gert's cousin) introduced them. They were married in a synagogue in the London, England, suburb In St. John's Wood on Jan. 16, 1944.

In October 1945, six months after the end of war in Europe, Gert was discharged from the U.S. Army and returned home. A few months after his return, Erna joined him in Baker City.

Gert returned to the furniture business with his brother, Bert Neuberger. In 1960, Gert and Erna opened their own furniture store, "Gert Neuberger Furniture," specializing in higher-end furniture. For the next 42 years, the Neuberger's sold furniture to families in Eastern Oregon. They retired in 2002.

Survivors include her husband of 61 years, Gert Neuberger; her daughters, Patricia and Rosalyn Neuberger of Beaverton; her son, Robert Neuberger of Portland; and grandson, Stuart Neuberger of Portland.

Memorial contributions may be made to the charity of one's choice through Coles Funeral Home, 1950 Place St., Baker City, OR 97814.

Arlyn Beck

Arlyn Duane Beck, 89, of Baker City, died Dec. 28, 2005, at St. Elizabeth Health Services.

The rosary will be said at 7 p.m. Sunday at Coles Funeral Home, 1950 Place St. A Memorial Mass will be celebrated at 11 a.m. Monday at St. Francis de Sales Cathedral, First and Church streets. The Revs. Julian Cassar and Camillus Fernando will concelebrate the Mass.

Arlyn was born on Aug. 14, 1916, at Molalla, the second of four sons born to Walter A. and Agnes M. Robbins Beck. He received his early schooling in the Meadowbrook area near Molalla. When he was 12 the family moved to La Grande, where he finished high school and attended Eastern Oregon Normal School (now Eastern Oregon University).

Arlyn's roots are buried deep in Oregon. His great-great-grandfather, Jacob Robbins, left Indiana in 1851 and traveled the Oregon Trail settling in the Willamette Valley. Another ancestor was among the first residents of Granite and later an early mayor of Sumpter.

Arlyn joined the Civilian Conservation Corps in 1936 where he was introduced to his first work with the U.S. Forest Service. His career with the Forest Service spanned 34 years, always in the shadow of his beloved Eagle Mountains.

On Nov. 27, 1939, he married Jeanette Delepierre. They were blessed with a beloved son and two cherished daughters. He was a loving husband, devoted father and proud patriarch of his grandchildren. His legacy is one of hard work and unquestioned integrity.

He was blessed with a solid love and marriage of 66 years, a successful career and the loving respect of five generations of family. He was a member of the Catholic Church, the Elks Lodge, the Forest Service 30-Year Club and the National Association of Retired Federal Employees.

Survivors include his wife, Jeanette; his children and their spouses, Walter "Wally" and Kay Beck, Arlyne and Jack Sater and Barbara "Bobbi" and John Higgins; grandchildren, great-grandchildren and great-great-grandchildren.

He was preceded in death by his parents; one grandson, James Edwin Beck; and three brothers, Maurice, Howard and Ralph.

Since flowers made him sneeze, memorial contributions may be made to the charity of one's choice. This may be done through Coles Funeral Home, 1950 Place St., Baker City, OR 97814.

Pat Proffitt

Pat Proffitt, 48, of John Day, died Dec. 20, 2005, after a long illness.

At her request, her body was cremated and a private memorial service will be scheduled later.

Pat was born on April 15, 1957, at Oka Tamuning, Guam. She graduated from high school at Guam and moved to Baker City in 1975. While living in Baker City, she became a part of the community helping others.

Pat moved to Grant County in 1992, and married Norman Proffitt Jr. on April 10, 1997. Pat enjoyed ceramics, crocheting and working in her flower beds. Family and friends will always remember her smile and personality. She will be greatly missed.

Survivors include her husband, Norman, of John Day; a son, Matt Mespelt, of John Day and his wife, Amanda, and his daughter, Faith, also of John Day, who was precious to her "gramma"; her mother, Terri Santiago of Guam; two brothers, Frank of Seattle, Wash., and Joe of Guam; and many other relatives.

Memorial contributions may be made in her name at Old West Federal Credit Union in Baker City or John Day. Proceeds will go to St. Jude Children's Hospital.


blog comments powered by Disqus
Local / Sports / Business / State / National / Obituaries / Submit News
Editorials / Letters / Columns / Submit a letter
Outdoors / Go Magazine / Milestones / Living Well
Baker Herald
About / Contact / Commercial Printing / Subscriptions / Terms of Use / Privacy Policy / Commenting Policy / Site Map
Also Online
Photo Reprints / Videos / Local Business Links / Community Links / Weather and Road Cams / RSS Feed

Follow Baker City Herald headlines on Follow Baker City Herald headlines on Twitter

© Copyright 2001 - 2015 Western Communications, Inc. All rights reserved. By Using this site you agree to our Terms of Use