By Chris Collins
A quick response by the North Powder Rural Fire District held damage to a minimum in a Sunday morning fire in a double-wide mobile home just north of town.
Fire Chief Sam Martin said the fire was caused by an overheated wood stove that ignited the wall and the siding of the home on property owned by Ken Holman on Oregon Trail Highway about a mile north of North Powder.
The Red Cross was called to provide emergency housing for the tenants, a family of two adults and three children. Their names were not available in time for this story. The Red Cross also provided food, comfort kits and information on mental and physical health services, according to Dennis Kelly, an after-hours Public Affairs volunteer.
Martin said 10 North Powder firefighters responded to the fire at 11:47 a.m. They worked at the scene for about an hour.
The house sustained only minor damage thanks to the response of firefighters who arrived just 7 minutes after they were called and were able to douse the fire quickly despite the high winds, the fire chief said.
"Most of the time doublewides burn really quick," Martin said. "We're really happy with the way things went. It could have been a complete loss."
None of the family's belongings was lost in the fire and there were no injuries, he said.