Chris Collins
The Baker City Herald

The two Baker County men who were shot to death at a cabin near Granite late Wednesday night have been identified as Michael Piete, 43, and Kenneth C. Gilliland, 64.

Piete was the foster father of the 14-year-old boy suspected of shooting the men, Grant County Sheriff Glenn Palmer said today.

The two men lived on Dry Creek Road off Highway 30 southeast of Baker City, Palmer said.

He declined to release the suspect's name because of his age.

One victim was shot inside the cabin and the other was shot outside, he said.

The three were staying with two others at a cabin at a deer camp on private land off Forest Road 1305 about nine miles southwest of Granite. The cabin is owned by Bill Gilliland of Tidewater, a community on the Alsea River near Waldport on the Oregon Coast. He is Kenneth Gilliland's brother.

Palmer said Bill Gilliland drove to Granite after the shooting where police and ambulance service were called.

The call was dispatched about 12:20 a.m. The Baker County dispatch center received a call at 12:28 a.m. regarding the incident, according to the press log.

The boy left the cabin on foot and at some point accidentally shot himself in the right leg, Palmer said. He returned to the cabin for help and another man held the boy at gunpoint and ordered him to the floor. The man, who was not identified, got on top of the boy to restrain him and later duct taped him to a chair until law enforcement arrived.

A John Day ambulance responded to the scene and transported the boy to St. Alphonsus Medical Center-Baker City. He later was flown by air ambulance to St. Alphonsus Medical Center in Boise.

Palmer said today that there has been no update on the boy's condition. He added that even though the boy is in the custody of Grant County, the hospital will not release information because of federal privacy laws.

The suspect is expected to recover from the gunshot wound to his right leg, Palmer added.

The Grant County major crime team, which includes the sheriff's office, Oregon State Police, the district attorney and the juvenile department, are continuing to investigate today to determine what led up to the shooting.