By Chris Collins
email@example.com A Huntington-area home was destroyed by fire Sunday afternoon after an outdoor turkey fryer flared and sent flames lashing against the house.
The home of John and Lisa Miller at 28839 Langley Road, off Interstate 84 near Lime, was fully involved when Huntington firefighters arrived, said Fire Chief Eric Bronson.
The Huntington Fire Department was dispatched at 3:15 p.m. and firefighters spent about seven hours at the scene.
John Miller was cooking a turkey or a chicken in the oil fryer, which he said was placed about 10 feet away from the house, when it flared, Bronson said. Lisa Miller was not at home when the fire started. John Miller and his dog escaped unharmed.
Firefighters' efforts were hampered by the cold weather, with temperatures dropping into the teens, and by lack of water. They hauled water from the Burnt River to douse the fire and to protect a nearby shop and other outbuildings.
Bronson estimated the loss of the two-story home built in 1930 at about $150,000. It was insured.
The Millers spent the night at Wayne and Dottie's Cabins in Huntington, Bronson said.