By Chris Collins
email@example.com Members of the Fine family counted their blessings and mourned their losses as they watched firefighters mop up the remains of their charred home Tuesday morning.
Allan Fine had just left for work at his job at Marvin Wood Products about half an hour before the fire department was dispatched to 1130 Broadway St. at about 5:30 a.m.
Allan, 32, said the house had been his home for the past 20 years. He shared it with his 62-year-old mother, Virginia.
She had been working at her job as a caregiver for BeeHive Homes overnight when her daughter, Dawn Knapp, called Virginia Tuesday morning at work to tell her that her house was on fire.
Allan's four daughters - Celeena, Jordynn, Briannah and Katrienna - were at the home of their mother, Autumn Taylor, on Colorado Avenue when they learned that their dad's home was burning.
The girls spend time between both parents' houses and have duplicate sets of belongings including beds, toys and clothing at both places, their mother said.
Their upstairs bedroom and everything in it was completely destroyed in the fire.
"I'm glad they were with me," Taylor said.
See more in Wednesday's issue of the Baker City Herald.