No one was hurt in a south Baker City fire that investigators determined was started Wednesday night by an electrical malfunction.

Fire Chief Sean Lee said Baker City and Baker Rural fire departments were called to 2250 Miller St., about 8:50 p.m. The fire started on property owned by Donna Kanyid of Baker City. Kanyid’s daughter, Shannon, lives in a single-wide mobile home at the site.

Lee said the fire started in the wall of a small shop on the property. The mobile home was not damaged.

Three separate properties sustained damage as the blaze spread through what Lee described as “junk stacked end to end.” A van parked in the area was destroyed in the fire and a fence was burned.

The responders had difficulty getting to the fire because of the debris, and visibility was low because power lines were down and there was no electricity at the scene for a time, Lee said.

Five Baker City firefighters and four from the rural department spent about three hours working to put the fire out, Lee said.

“It was a potential for a huge disaster,” he said. “They guys did a great job of saving things.”

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.