From the gold rush, through timber and cattle baron days to the current tourism boom, the Baker City Herald has recorded Baker County since 1870.
First established as the Bedrock-Democrat on May 11, 1870, the two daily Baker newspapers, the Bedrock Democrat and the Morning Herald, were merged to become the Baker Democrat-Herald in 1929.
In 1990, following a vote by the residents of Baker to change the city's name back to Baker City, the newspaper's name was changed to the Baker City Herald.
In 2001 the Baker City Herald first published online with the introduction of www.bakercityherald.com.
The Baker City Herald delivers Baker County news, features and community information. The Herald's staff have a broad-based knowledge of the people, geography and events that affect Baker County living.
The Baker City Herald contributes more than just a newspaper to the community by helping to sponsor local programs, particularly youth and literacy oriented causes. The newspaper contributes hundreds of volunteer hours and donates many pages of advertising space to organizations and events in Baker County communities.
The Herald is owned by EO Media Group.